41st Allegheny Chess Congress
August 14, 2021 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm EDT
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 41st Allegheny Chess Congress. This tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule and Location
Tournament Schedule: Round times are in Eastern Daylight Time. Please note, this is an accelerated time control schedule – the last two rounds are slower than the first three.
- Saturday, August 14, 2021
- Championship Section (G/60 d5): 9am | 11:30am | 3pm
- Reserve Section (G/60 d5): 9am | 11:30am | 3pm
- Novice Section (G/60 d5): 9am | 11:30am | 3pm
- Sunday, August 15, 2021
- Championship Section (G/90 d5): 10am | 2pm
- Reserve Section (G/90 d5): 10am | 2pm
- Novice Section (G/90 d5): 10am | 2pm
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club
Format: 5-round Swiss System, in three sections
- Rounds 1-3: Game/60 delay 5 (Each player starts with 60 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
- Rounds 4-5: Game/90 delay 5 (Each player starts with 90 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There will be three sections
- Championship: open to rated players 1800+
- Reserve: open to rated players under 1800 or unrated
- Novice: open to players rated under 1000
- Pairings will be based on the August 2021 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings as of August 1, 2021 will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$925 prize fund based on 30 paid entries:
- Championship: 1st place – $250, 2nd place – $200
- Reserve: 1st place – $150, 2nd place – $100, Top Under 1600 – $50, Top Under 1400 – $50, Top U1200 – $50
- Novice: 1st place – $50, 2nd place – $25.
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) in all sections gets free entry to any future 2021 PCC tournament! (up to $50)
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided in registration) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address, as indicated in their registration.
- Please allow 3-4 business days for transferring prize funds via PayPal.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing mailed prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Expiration date of membership must be later than the last day of the tournament (ie. through the middle of August 2021).
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to two ½-point BYEs will be accepted under the following conditions:
- Rounds 1-3 BYEs must be requested 15 minutes prior to the respective round start time.
- Rounds 4-5 BYEs must be requested before the start of Round 3.
- Rounds 4-5 BYEs are irrevocable to prevent prize fund manipulations.
- A player may cancel an irrevocable ½-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is encouraged to be assured of a place in any section
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40. Discounts for members who are Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards status will be honored.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 until August 12th, $55 after August 12th
- Free entry fee for titled FIDE players! Contact the director for registration coupon code.
- Online advance registration closes at 8AM, Saturday, August 14th
- On-site registration will be available starting at 8am
- Late Entry: Late registrants arriving after 8:45am may have to take a Round 1 BYE
- Commitment to play paired rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round pairing will be paired and expected to play in that round -regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through mail.
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 41st Allegheny Chess Congress to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from the PA Department of Health and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them
Unfortunately, there were no entries for Championship. Therefore, we increased the base prizes for Reserve and Novice sections by 95%.
Base Prize structure (based on 30 paid entries):
- 1st place:
- 2nd Place:
- Top U1600:
- Top U1400:
- Top U1200
- 1st Place:
- 2nd Place:
Based on a total of 13 paid registrations (out of projected 30), we will be paying out 44% of the projected prize pool.
|David Zheng||1st Place Reserve / Top U1600 (TIE)||$85.80|
|Michael Bashur Jr.||1st Place Reserve / Top U1600 (TIE)||$85.80|
|Todd Hedrick||1st Place Reserve / Top U1600 (TIE)||$85.80|
|Hari Viswanathan||Top U1200||$42.90|
|Peter Hamder||Top U1400 (TIE)||$21.45|
|Neelansh Samanta||Top U1400 (TIE)||$21.45|
|Pushkal Solanki||1st Place – Novice||$42.90|
|Jack Barton||2nd Place – Novice||$21.45|
|Hari Viswanathan||Biggest Upset||Free entry to any future 2021 PCC tournament!|
SwissSys Standings. 41st Allegheny Chess Congress: Reserve$50 toward any 2021
|#||Place</$50 toward any 2021td>||Name||ID||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Tot||Prize|
|2||MICHAEL BASHUR JR.||12529353||1021||H—||W10||L1||W3||W8||3.5||85.80|
|4||4-6||PETER M HAMDER||12909847||1387||W10||L5||W7||H—||D1||3.0||21.45|
SwissSys Standings. 41st Allegheny Chess Congress: Novice
|#||Place||Name||ID||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Tot||Prize|
Registered Entries (last update 8/14/2021 9:00AM):
|Reserve||Michael Bashur Jr||12529353||1021|
|Reserve||Joel Irving Veneracion||30229438||unrated|