April Chess Extravaganza
April 3, 2021 @ 9:30 am – 6:00 pm EDT
Join us in the morning for an online 5 round Swiss G/15 USCF Online-Quick rated tournament via Chess.com. Afterwards, join us in the afternoon for multiple Game Analysis sessions via Zoom hosted by FM Gabriel Petesch (request available game analysis slots here). These events are Open to PCC members only — all members are invited to attend the tournament and the game analysis.
Saturday, April 3, 2021
Tournament Rounds (EST): 9:30am | 10:15am | 11am | 11:45am | 12:30pm
Game Analysis Sessions w/ FM Gabriel Petesch: 2pm | 3pm | 4pm | 5pm
Format: 5 Round Swiss System
Time Control: Game/15 (Each player starts with 15 minutes on their clock)
Screened for Fair Play
Sections: one Open section
Pairings: Based on the latest US Chess rating supplement for OTB or ONL Regular. The higher rating will be used for pairing purposes. Pairings will be posted on a Google Sheet and shared with all players. Note: you will not need to login to your Google account to view the Google Sheets as they will be available from a publicly viewable URL.
How to Play
- A welcome e-mail will be sent out before the tournament that explains all the details for how to play in the tournament, including the Zoom meeting ID and any URLs/links necessary to play. Be sure to provide a correct email when registering for the event.
- Players must be logged in to chess.com AND stay on chess.com/live at the start of the round and wait for their game to appear on the screen.
- Games are MANUALLY STARTED by the Chief TD and will automatically pop up for every player. White’s clock will automatically start, and games will NOT be aborted due to no move.
- Players who are late to enter chess.com for their tournament will miss the event and will not be refunded.
- Players must NOT engage in any other play (game, challenge, other touranment).
- For players who would like to interact with each other, they can do it through Discord. Please connect to our Discord server via: https://discord.gg/QkxKk88R
- Byes are available for players in any rounds in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- Maximum 2 half-point byes can be requested in this tournament.
- Total maximum of 4 byes can be requested in this tournament (2 half-point, 2 zero-point)
- Round 1-4 byes must be requested 15 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Round 5 bye must be requested before the start of Round 1. Round 5 bye is irrevocable to prevent prize fund manipulations.
Prize Fund: $125 based on 25 entries.
- $100 – 1st Place
- $25 – 2nd Place
- Prizes are paid out after Fair Play review has been completed, and results are finalized.
- Prizes will be distributed to winner’s designated PayPal account or to their physical mailing address.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be Pittsburgh Chess Club members and membership is current.
- Not sure of the status of your PCC membership? Visit: pittsburghchess.club/member-status
- You can become a Pittsburgh Chess Club member here: pittsburghchessclub.org/membership
- Players must be US Chess Federation members and membership is current. Expiration date of membership must be later than the day of the tournament.
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players must have a Chess.com account in good standing. Any previously closed account must be disclosed to the Tournament Organizer by sending a confidential email to email@example.com.
- If you do not have a Chess.com account, you can easily set one up from this page.
- Your chess.com account can be affiliated with our chess.com team/club on this page, but it is not required. We regularly host free tournaments.
- Standard US Chess rules apply, with special focus on the Chapter 10 Online Chess rules.
- Forfeit time is 15 minutes: if player is not logged in 15-minutes after the game has started, the opponent will be awarded a forfeit win.
- Please see our Rules for Chess.com Online Tournaments
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification as well as further sanctions as laid out by Chess.com’s User Agreement and Policy rules.
- All games played in our Online US Chess rated tournaments will be analyzed using Chess.com’s sophisticated anti-cheating tools. Such analysis will include, but not be limited to, comparing moves played to the recommendations of various engines.
- Players suspected of violating the Fair Play rules may: 1) have their results and any prize eligibility canceled, 2) be banned from future play on Chess.com, 3) be banned from future events both online and over the board, and 4) be reported to the US Chess Ethics Committee, leading to possible suspension of US Chess membership.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Entry Fee: $5
- Discounts for Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards members will be honored.
- $2 administration fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Online registration closes 90-minutes before the tournament starts.
- If you would like to register for FM Gabriel Petesch Game Analysis sessions, follow the instructions on this page
|1||Kenneth Harper||1st Place||$12.00|
|2||Mark Jeromin||2nd Place||$3.00|
|#||Place||Name||Handle||ID||Rating||Rnd 1||Rnd 2||Rnd 3||Rnd 4||Rnd 5||Rnd 6||Total|
|1||1||Kenneth Harper||VenetiaKid||12453505||1594 (quick) / 1720 (regular)||
|2||2||Mark Jeromin||The_Knight_Manager||12809603||1510 (quick) / 1763 (regular)||B||B||L 1
|3||3||Gregory T Thomas||MrGregThomas||12395035||1484 (quick) / 1546 (regular)||L 1