21st William M. Byland Memorial
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 21st William M. Byland Memorial. This is tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule and Location
Tournament Rounds: Tuesdays, 6:30PM EST, June 22, 2021 – July 27, 2021.
- Round 1: 6:30PM EST, June 22nd, 2021
- Round 2: 6:30PM EST, June 29th, 2021
- Round 3: 6:30PM EST, July 6th, 2021
- Round 4: 6:30PM EST, July 13th, 2021
- Round 5: 6:30PM EST, July 20th, 2021
- Round 6: 6:30PM EST, July 27th, 2021
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club (new space announced soon).
Format: 6 Round Swiss System, one game every Tuesday
Time Control: Game/120; delay 5 (Time limit is 120 minutes per player with a 5 second delay per move).
- Open: Open to all current US Chess members
- Pairings will be based on the June 2021 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Normally, pairings will be made by Monday noon and will be posted online (pairings page) and on a printed sheet affixed to the wall in the club.
- All pairings are tentative. Posted pairings will become official (aka. final) at 4:30pm every Tuesday. All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Please see Commitment to play all rounds, below.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings as of June 1, 2021 will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$750 prize fund based on 24 players:
- 1st place – $200, 2nd place – $150, Top Under 2000 – $125, Top Under 1800 – $100, Top Under 1600 – $75, Top Under 1400 – $50, Top Under 1200 – $50.
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) gets free entry to any future 2021 PCC tournament! (up to $50)
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Expiration date of membership must be later than the last day of the tournament (ie. through the end of July 2021).
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to two half-point byes will be accepted under the following conditions:
- All byes are irrevocable
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Byes for rounds 4, 5 and 6 must be requested before the start of round 3.
- Bye requests must be made by noon on Monday for the following Tuesday night round. Bye requests after this deadline will be considered 0 point byes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply.
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Registration starts on June 2nd (EDT)
- Advance entry is recommended to be assured of a place in any section.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40. Discounts for members who are Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards status will be honored.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 until June 20th, $55 after June 20th
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through the mail and must be requested before the start of Round 1.
- Online registration: closes when Round 2 is officially paired @ 4:30 PM, Tuesday, June 29th.
- Late registrants who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, June 22nd may have to take a half point bye in Round 1
- On-site registration will be available:
- Tuesday, June 22nd, 5:15PM – 6:15PM
- Commitment to play all rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 21st William M. Byland Memorial to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from PA Department of Health FAQ, and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded.
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and asking players to use this before starting each round.
- We will also be providing latex gloves to anyone who wants them
|Zachary Thompson (5.0/2045)||1st Place||$200|
|Franklin Chen (4.5/2105)||2nd Place||$150|
|James Xiao (4.0/1750)||U2000 & U1800 (TIE)||$112.50|
|Daniel King (4.0/1744)||U2000 & U1800 (TIE)||$112.50|
|Steven John O’Connor (3.5/1452)||U1600 (TIE)||$37.50|
|Yisrael Isaacson (3.5/1517)||U1600 (TIE)||$37.50|
|Michael Bashur Jr.||Upset Win||Free Tournament Entry|
SwissSys Wall Chart. 21st William M. Byland Memorial: Open
|#||Name/Rating/ID||Handle/City||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6|
|1||Kevin Carl||B 12||W 7||B 4||B 5||—-||—-|
|2||Franklin Chen||W 13||B 8||W 3||W 4||B 9||B 5|
|3||Zachary Thompson||B 14||W 9||B 2||bye||W 5||W 8|
|2045p 12687109 (1966)||1.0||2.0||3.0||3.5||4.0||5.0|
|4||Edward Dean||W 15||B 11||W 1||B 2||bye||bye|
|5||Kurt Wallnau||B 16||W 22||B 23||W 1||B 3||W 2|
|6||Mark Jeromin||bye||B 24||bye||W 9||B 17||W 7|
|7||James Xiao||W 19||B 1||W 13||B 11||W 21||B 6|
|8||Daniel King||B 20||W 2||B 16||W 12||W 11||B 3|
|9||Taylor Coles||W 21||B 3||W 15||B 6||W 2||B 11|
|10||David Zheng||B 22||W 16||W 24||bye||B 19||—-|
|11||James Carr||W 25||W 4||B 22||W 7||B 8||W 9|
|12||Finn Overlie||W 1||B 19||W 21||B 8||W 22||B 16|
|1632p 13157316 (1400)||0.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||3.0|
|13||Yisrael Isaacson||B 2||W 20||B 7||W 23||bye||W 19|
|1517p 10105404 (1580)||0.0||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.5||3.5|
|14||Steven John O’Connor||W 3||B 21||W 20||B 19||B 23||W 24|
|1452p 10141770 (1485)||0.0||0.0||1.0||1.5||2.5||3.5|
|15||Nathan Hausler||B 4||W 25||B 9||W 22||B 16||bye|
|16||Daniel Kolich||W 5||B 10||W 8||B 21||W 15||W 12|
|17||Bryant Sims||bye||bye||W 18||B 24||W 6||B 22|
|18||Jeff Flohr||bye||W 23||B 17||– 25||W 24||B 21|
|19||Michael Bashur Jr||B 7||W 12||B 25||W 14||W 10||B 13|
|20||Gary Albert||W 8||B 13||B 14||bye||bye||W 23|
|21||Daniel Deas||B 9||W 14||B 12||W 16||B 7||W 18|
|22||Travis McKenna||W 10||B 5||W 11||B 15||B 12||W 17|
|23||Andrew Fitzpatrick||bye||B 18||W 5||B 13||W 14||B 20|
|24||Austin Allshouse||bye||W 6||B 10||W 17||B 18||B 14|
|25||Jacob Homanics||B 11||B 15||W 19||– 18||—-||—-|
Registered Entries (last update 6/29/2021 6:30PM):
|Finn Erik Overlie||13157316||1632|
|Michael Bashur Jr||12529353||1034|