24th Robert P. Smith Memorial
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 24th Robert P. Smith Memorial. This tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule and Location
Tournament Rounds: Tuesdays, 6:30PM EST, September 14, 2021 – October 19, 2021.
- Round 1: 6:30PM EST, September 14th, 2021
- Round 2: 6:30PM EST, September 21st, 2021
- Round 3: 6:30PM EST, September 28th, 2021
- Round 4: 6:30PM EST, October 5th, 2021
- Round 5: 6:30PM EST, October 12th, 2021
- Round 6: 6:30PM EST, October 19th, 2021
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club.
Format: 6 Round Swiss System, one game every Tuesday
Time Control: Game/120; delay 5 (Time limit is 120 minutes per player with a 5 second delay per move).
- Open: Open to all Pittsburgh Chess Club Members with active US Chess membership
- Pairings will be based on the September 2021 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Normally, pairings will be made by Monday noon and will be posted online (pairings page) and on a printed sheet affixed to the wall in the club.
- All pairings are tentative. Posted pairings will become official (aka. final) at 4:30pm every Tuesday. All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Please see Commitment to play all rounds, below.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings as of September 1, 2021 will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$1000 prize fund based on 32 players:
- 1st place – $225, 2nd place – $175, Top U2000 – $150, Top Under 1800 – $125, Top Under 1600 – $100, Top Under 1400 – $75, Top Under 1200 – $75, Top Under 1000 – $75
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) gets free entry to any future 2021-2022 PCC tournament! (up to $50)
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Expiration date of membership must be later than the last day of the tournament (ie. through the end of October 2021).
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to two half-point byes will be accepted under the following conditions:
- All byes are irrevocable
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Byes for rounds 4, 5 and 6 must be requested before the start of round 3.
- Bye requests must be made by 4:30PM on Tuesday prior to the round. Bye requests after this deadline will be considered 0 point byes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply.
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is recommended to be assured of a place in any section.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40. Discounts for members who are Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards status will be honored.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 until September 12th, $55 after September 12th
- FIDE titled players get in free.
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through the mail and must be requested before the start of Round 1.
- Online registration: closes when Round 3 is officially paired @ 4:30 PM, Tuesday, September 28th.
- Late registrants who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, September 14th may have to take a half point bye in Round 1. Players who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, September 21st may have to take two half-point byes for rounds 1 & 2.
- On-site registration will be available:
- Tuesday, September 14th, 5:15PM – 6:15PM
- Tuesday, September 21st, 5:15PM – 6:15PM
- Commitment to play all rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 81st Pittsburgh Chess Club Chamionship to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from PA Department of Health FAQ, and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded.
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them
|Bruce Leverett||1st Place||$154.69|
|Ed Dean||2nd Place||$120.31|
|Stephen Boak||Top U2000||$94.53|
|Keith Robben||Top U1800||$94.53|
|Dan Kolich||Top U1600||$60.15|
|Avi Teitelbaum||Top U1400||$60.15|
|Ryan Leverett||Top U1200||$51.56|
|John Kopay||Top U1000||$51.56|
|John Vuillemot||Upset Prize||–|
SwissSys Standings. 24th Robert P. Smith Memorial: Open (Standings)
|#||Place||Name||ID||Rating||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Total||Prize|
|1||1||BRUCE W LEVERETT||10142512||2200||W16||W6||W10||D2||W5||W4||5.5||154.69|
|2||2||EDWARD T DEAN||12670976||2079||H—||W19||W14||D1||W3||D5||4.5||120.31|
|3||3-4||STEPHEN A BOAK||10146828||1846||L17||W21||W12||W10||L2||W14||4.0||94.53|
|4||KEITH CAME ROBBEN||16209395||1416||L5||W11||W6||W8||W9||L1||4.0||94.53|
|7||JAMES ZE CARR||16121290||1706||W11||L17||D13||D14||W18||D6||3.5|
|11||DANIEL THO KOLICH||12244160||1218||L7||L4||W22||L6||W20||W19||3.0||60.16|
|15||15-17||GLENN H BROWN||12292250||1600||D13||H—||L5||W12||L14||D10||2.5|
|20||20||ELVIS A CALCANO||17193011||1687||L19||H—||L16||W22||L11||U—||1.5|
|21||21||PHILLIP JO HAYDEN||30066981||1116||H—||L3||H—||U—||U—||U—||1.0|
|22||22||JOHN ANDREW KOPAY||14708775||457||L10||L18||L11||L20||L19||L16||0.0||51.56|
Registered Entries (last update 9/21/2021 6:30PM):
|John Andrew Kopay||14708775||457|