2021 Three Rivers Classic Online
May 18, 2021 @ 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm EDT
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host the Three Rivers Classic Online. This tournament will be USCF rated Online-Regular — it will not impact your over the board ratings.
Tournament Rounds: Tuesdays, 7PM EST, April 13, 2021 – May 25, 2021
- Round 1: 7PM EST, April 20th, 2021
- Round 2: 7PM EST, April 27th, 2021
- Round 3: 7PM EST, May 4th, 2021
- Round 4: 7PM EST, May 11th, 2021
- Round 5: 7PM EST, May 18th, 2021
- Round 6: 7PM EST, May 25th, 2021
Format: 6 Round Swiss System, one game every Tuesday
Time Control: Game/90+5 (Time limit is 90 minutes per player plus a 5 second increment on each move of the whole game).
- Championship: open players rated 2000+ by USCF rating using the April 2021 supplement
- Reserve: Open to all players rated 1600-1999
- U1600 / Unrated; for players rated below 1600 and unrated
- Players may play up a section with an additional $10 fee if their rating is within 200 points of the next section.
- Pairings will be based on the latest US Chess rating supplement for OTB or ONL Regular. The higher rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Normally, pairings will be made Monday noon and will be posted online and in the Chess Room.
- All pairings are tentative. Final pairings will be posted 6:15 pm on Tuesday.
- Pairings will be posted on a Google Sheet and shared with all players.
Cash prizes based on 12 players per section:
- Championship: 1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $75, Best Under 2200 $50.
- Reserve: 1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $75, best under 1800 $50.
- U1600/Unrated: 1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $75, best under 1400 $50.
- Prizes are paid out after fair play review has been completed, and results are finalized.
- Prizes will be distributed to winner’s designated PayPal account or to their physical mailing address.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- The tournament will follow USCF rules and all players must be current members of the USCF through the end of May 2021.
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players must be current Pittsburgh Chess Club members.
- Not sure of the status of your PCC membership? Visit: pittsburghchess.club/members
- You can become a Pittsburgh Chess Club member here: pittsburghchess.club/membership
- Players must have a Chess.com account in good standing.
- If you do not have a Chess.com account, you can easily set one up from this page.
- Any previously closed account must be disclosed to the Tournament Organizer by sending a confidential email to [email protected].
- Your chess.com account can be affiliated with our chess.com team/club on this page, but it is not required. We regularly host free tournaments.
How to Play
- A welcome e-mail will be sent out before the tournament that explains all the details for how to play in the tournament, including the Zoom meeting ID and any URLs/links necessary to play. Be sure to provide a correct email when registering for the event.
- Players must be logged in to chess.com AND stay on chess.com/live at the start of the round and wait for their game to appear on the screen.
- Games are MANUALLY STARTED by the Chief TD and will automatically pop up for every player. White’s clock will automatically start, and games will NOT be aborted due to no move.
- Players who are late to enter chess.com for their tournament will miss the event and will not be refunded.
- Players must NOT engage in any other play (game, challenge, other touranment).
- For players who would like to interact with each other, they can do it through Discord. Please connect to our Discord server via: https://discord.gg/QkxKk88R
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to three half-point byes will be accepted under the following conditions:
- All byes are irrevocable.
- Byes for round five and six must be requested before the start of round 3.
- Bye requests must be made by noon on Monday for the following Tuesday night round. All bye requests after will be considered 0 point byes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply, with special focus on the Chapter 10 Online Chess rules.
- Forfeit time is 15 minutes: if player is not logged in 15-minutes after the game has started, the opponent will be awarded a forfeit win.
- Please see our Rules for Chess.com Online Tournaments
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification as well as further sanctions as laid out by Chess.com’s User Agreement and Policy rules.
- All games played in our Online US Chess rated tournaments will be analyzed using Chess.com’s sophisticated anti-cheating tools. Such analysis will include, but not be limited to, comparing moves played to the recommendations of various engines.
- Players suspected of violating the Fair Play rules may: 1) have their results and any prize eligibility canceled, 2) be banned from future play on Chess.com, 3) be banned from future events both online and over the board, and 4) be reported to the US Chess Ethics Committee, leading to possible suspension of US Chess membership.
Mark Jeromin will be the TD for this tournament. Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.
- Entry Fee: $35 until April 18th; $45 starting Monday April 19th Discounts for Club Members who are Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards status will be honored.
- Administrative Fee: $5 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through mail.
- Online registration closes 90-minutes before the tournament starts.
Tournament paid 25% of advertised prizes (based on 12 players; 4 paid entries)
|Benjamin Lin||1st Place||$50|
|Mark Jeromin||2nd Place||$25|
|Kenneth Harper||3rd Place||$18.75|
|Finn Overlie||Best U1800||$12.25|
|#||Name||Handle||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4||Round 5||Round 6|
|1||Mark Jeromin||The_Knight_Manager||W 4||B 3||B 2||B 4||W 3||W 2|
|2||Finn Overlie||finn21||W 3||B 4||W 1||B 3||W 4||B 1|
|3||Benjamin Lin||bgl2011||B 2||W 1||B 4||W 2||B 1||W 4|
|4||Kenneth Harper||VenetiaKid||B 1||W 2||W 3||W 1||B 2||B 3|