27th Wild Card Open
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 27th Wild Card Open. This tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule and Location
Tournament Rounds: Tuesdays, 6:30PM EST, February 1, 2021 – March 8, 2022.
- Round 1: 6:30PM EST, February 1st, 2021
- Round 2: 6:30PM EST, February 8th, 2021
- Round 3: 6:30PM EST, February 15th, 2021
- Round 4: 6:30PM EST, February 22nd, 2021
- Round 5: 6:30PM EST, March 1st, 2021
- Round 6: 6:30PM EST, March 8th, 2021
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club.
Format: 6 Round Swiss System, one game every Tuesday Time Control: Game/120; delay 5 (Time limit is 120 minutes per player with a 5 second delay per move). Sections:
- Open: Open to all Pittsburgh Chess Club Members with active US Chess membership
- Pairings will be based on the February 2021 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Normally, pairings will be made by Monday noon and will be posted online (pairings page) and on a printed sheet affixed to the wall in the club.
- All pairings are tentative. Posted pairings will become official (aka. final) at 4:30pm every Tuesday. All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Please see Commitment to play all rounds, below.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$850 prize fund based on 32 players –“Poker Hands” prize structure!
Each week, players draw cards from a standard 52-card deck, based on their results. A win gets two cards. A draw gets one card. An upset win or draw of more than 100 points gets one bonus card! At the end of the tournament, each player’s best possible five-card hand is determined from the cards they have accumulated. The first place prize goes to the player with the best score using standard tournament scoring.The next five prizes go to the players with the best poker hands! Standard hand rankings apply, except that five-of-a-kind is the best possible hand.
- 1st place – $225, 2nd place – $175, 3rd place – $150, 4th place – $125, 5th place – $100, 6th place – $75
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Note: Players with full-point byes are eligible to draw two cards, and players with half-point byes are eligible to draw one card.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Expiration date of membership must be later than the last day of the tournament (ie. through the end of March 2022).
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to two half-point byes will be accepted under the following conditions:
- All byes are irrevocable
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Byes for rounds 4, 5 and 6 must be requested before the start of round 3.
- Bye requests must be made by 4:30PM on Tuesday prior to the round. Bye requests after this deadline will be considered 0 point byes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply.
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is recommended to be assured of a place in any section.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40. Discounts for members who are Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards status will be honored.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 online entries, $55 on-site entries
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through the mail and must be requested before the start of Round 1.
- Online registration: closes when Round 3 is officially paired @ 4:30 PM, Tuesday, February 15th.
- Late registrants who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, February 1st may have to take a half point bye in Round 1. Players who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, February 8th may have to take two half-point byes for rounds 1 & 2.
- On-site registration will be available:
- Tuesday, February 1st, 5:45PM – 6:15PM
- Tuesday, February 8th, 5:45PM – 6:15PM
- Commitment to play all rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 27th Wild Card Open to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from PA Department of Health FAQ, and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded.
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them
Based on a total of 31 paid registrations (out of projected 32), we paid out 96.875% of the projected prize pool.
|Edward Dean||1st Place||$217.97|
|John Vuillemot||2nd Place||$169.53|
|Sam Timmons||3rd Place||$145.31|
|Glenn Brown||4th Place||$121.09|
|Douglas Deptola||5th Place||$96.88|
|James Ravenscroft||6th Place||$72.66|
Standings and Crosstables are shown in score group/rating order, which is not the same as the tiebreak order. This data is not intended to show the distribution of trophies or prize monies (See Prize Winners above). Data is shown as reported to the USCF by the Tournament Director.
SwissSys Standings. 27th Wild Card Open: Open (Standings (no tiebrk))
|#||Name||ID||Rating||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Total|
|13||James Ze Carr||16121290||1735||W27||D16||D11||L14||W15||L4||3.0|
SwissSys Wall Chart. 27th Wild Card Open: Open
|#||Name/Rating/ID||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Total|
|1||Edward Dean||W 18||B 15||W 10||B 23||B 6||W 11|
|2098 12670976 (1900)||1.0||1.5||2.5||3.5||4.5||5.5||5.5|
|2||Narkeeran Narasimhan||B 19||W 17||– 6||—-||—-||—-|
|1961 12761909 (1735)||1.0||2.0||F2.0||U2.0||U2.0||U2.0||2.0|
|3||Sam Timmons||W 20||B 16||W 11||B 15||W 28||B 6|
|1827 12915604 (1761)||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||4.0||4.5||4.5|
|4||Nicho Athanassiou||bye||W 12||B 23||W 24||B 16||W 9|
|5||James Ze Carr||B 21||W 23||B 28||W 17||B 19||W 12|
|1735 16121290 (1627)||1.0||1.5||2.0||2.0||3.0||3.0||3.0|
|6||John Vuillemot||W 22||B 24||– 2||B 11||W 1||W 3|
|1721 17095890 (1349)||1.0||2.0||X3.0||3.5||3.5||4.0||4.0|
|7||Kenneth Harper||bye||B 14||W 15||B 12||W 24||W 23|
|1678 12453505 (1524)||0.5||1.5||1.5||1.5||2.0||2.5||2.5|
|8||Glenn Brown||B 23||W 21||B 18||W 28||B 20||W 17|
|1601 12292250 (1473)||0.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||4.0||4.0|
|9||Finn Overlie||W 24||B 22||W 20||B 16||W 23||B 4|
|1600 13157316 (1400)||0.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||4.0||4.0|
|10||Alexander Spitzer||B 25||W 28||B 1||bye||bye||W 22|
|1545p 30276454 (1406)||1.0||1.5||1.5||2.0||2.5||2.5||2.5|
|11||Douglas Deptola||W 26||B 27||B 3||W 6||B 17||B 1|
|1534 12724835 ( 992)||1.0||2.0||3.0||3.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|12||James Provins||bye||B 4||W 14||W 7||B 15||B 5|
|1505 10140501 (1561)||0.5||0.5||1.5||2.5||3.5||4.5||4.5|
|13||Yisrael Isaacson||B 28||W 25||B 24||W 31||B 22||W 19|
|1500 10105404 (1580)||0.0||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|14||Benjamin Pollack||bye||W 7||B 12||B 22||W 27||B 25|
|15||Matthew Madeya||– 29||W 1||B 7||W 3||W 12||– 24|
|1446 30161934 (1187)||X1.0||1.5||2.5||2.5||2.5||X3.5||3.5|
|16||James Ravenscroft||B 30||W 3||B 31||W 9||W 4||bye|
|1413 14473917 (1309)||1.0||1.0||2.0||3.0||3.5||4.0||4.0|
|17||Risheeth Davuluri||W 31||B 2||W 27||B 5||W 11||B 8|
|1378p 30350075 (1304)||1.0||1.0||2.0||3.0||3.0||3.0||3.0|
|18||David Falk||B 1||W 26||W 8||B 20||W 25||B 27|
|1358 12916426 (1173)||0.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.0|
|19||Peyton Legg||W 2||B 31||W 25||B 21||W 5||B 13|
|1347 16982170 (1053)||0.0||0.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||3.0|
|20||Daniel Kolich||B 3||W 30||B 9||W 18||W 8||B 31|
|1240 12244160 (1257)||0.0||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|21||Bryant Sims||W 5||B 8||B 26||W 19||B 31||B 30|
|1200 12606500 (1109)||0.0||0.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0|
|22||Daniel Hodgson||B 6||W 9||B 30||W 14||W 13||B 10|
|1184p 30308543 (1100)||0.0||0.0||1.0||2.0||3.0||4.0||4.0|
|23||Maliki Mwangi||W 8||B 5||W 4||W 1||B 9||B 7|
|1179p 30350097 (1131)||1.0||1.5||2.5||2.5||2.5||3.0||3.0|
|24||Parker Miller||B 9||W 6||W 13||B 4||B 7||– 15|
|1071p 30290694 ( 841)||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||2.5||F2.5||2.5|
|25||Joshua Arabia||W 10||B 13||B 19||W 30||B 18||W 14|
|969p 30384476 ( 892)||0.0||0.0||0.0||1.0||2.0||2.5||2.5|
|26||Sam Kinkus||B 11||B 18||W 21||—-||W 30||—-|
|27||William Murtha||bye||W 11||B 17||—-||B 14||W 18|
|746p 30318852 ( 725)||1.0||1.0||1.0||U1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0|
|28||Andrew Hanin||W 13||B 10||W 5||B 8||B 3||bye|
|29||Caleb Eynon||– 15||—-||—-||—-||—-||—-|
|30||Kelby Caplinger||W 16||B 20||W 22||B 25||B 26||W 21|
|31||Walter Angell||B 17||W 19||W 16||B 13||W 21||W 20|