22nd William M. Byland Memorial
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 22nd William M. Byland Memorial. This is tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule and Location
Tournament Rounds: Tuesdays, 6:30PM EST, March 29 – May 3, 2022.
- Round 1: 6:30PM EST, March 29th, 2022
- Round 2: 6:30PM EST, April 5th, 2022
- Round 3: 6:30PM EST, April 12th, 2022
- Round 4: 6:30PM EST, April 19th, 2022
- Round 5: 6:30PM EST, April 26th, 2022
- Round 6: 6:30PM EST, May 3rd, 2022
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club, 5869 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Capacity: There is a maximum capacity of 32 players. It is recommended to register early.
Parking: There is street parking, parking lots, and a parking garage available.
Format: 6 Round Swiss System, one game every Tuesday
Time Control: Game/120; delay 5 (Time limit is 120 minutes per player with a 5 second delay per move).
- Open: Open to all Pittsburgh Chess Club Members with active US Chess membership
- Pairings will be based on the March 2022 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
- Normally, pairings will be made by Monday noon and will be posted online (pairings page) and on a printed sheet affixed to the wall in the club.
- All pairings are tentative. Posted pairings will become official (aka. final) at 4:30pm every Tuesday. All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Please see Commitment to play all rounds, below.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$1000 prize fund based on 32 players:
- 1st place – $225, 2nd place – $175, Top U2000 – $150, Top Under 1800 – $125, Top Under 1600 – $100, Top Under 1400 – $75, Top Under 1200 – $75, Top Under 1000 – $75
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) in all sections gets free entry to any future 2022 PCC tournament! (up to $50). If player claims a cash prize, then the upset prize will be awarded to the next largest upset win, in order of rating points difference.
- No winner shall receive more than one cash award (Rule 32B1).
- Unrated Players are ineligible to receive Under-rated prizes.
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to two half-point byes will be accepted under the following conditions:
- All byes are irrevocable
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Byes for rounds 4, 5 and 6 must be requested before the start of round 3.
- Bye requests must be made by 4:30PM on Tuesday prior to the round. Bye requests after this deadline will be considered 0 point byes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply.
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is recommended to be assured of a place in any section.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 advance entries, $55 on-site entries
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through the mail and must be requested before the start of Round 1.
- Online registration: closes when Round 3 is officially paired @ 4:30 PM, Tuesday, April 12th.
- Late registrants who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, March 29th may have to take a half point bye in Round 1. Players who register after 6:15 PM, Tuesday, April 5th may have to take two half-point byes for rounds 1 & 2.
- On-site registration will be available:
- Tuesday, March 29th, 5:45PM – 6:15PM
- Tuesday, April 5th, 5:45PM – 6:15PM
- Commitment to play all rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round will be paired and expected to play in each rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the William M. Byland Memorial to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from PA Department of Health FAQ, and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded.
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them
Prizes. 22nd William M Byland Memorial: Open
|Name||Prize||Prize credited to pool|
|Douglas Deptola (4.5/1534)||126.04||Top U2000/1 – $103.12|
|Zachary Thompson (4.5/2039)||126.04||Place: 1 – $154.68|
|John Vuillemot (4.5/1721)||126.04||Place: 2 – $120.31|
|Glenn Brown (4.0/1601)||68.75||Top U1800/1 – $85.93|
|Nicho Athanassiou (4.0/1498)||68.75||Top U1600/1 – $68.75|
|Daniel Kolich (4.0/1240)||68.75||Top U1400/1 – $51.56|
|Daniel Hodgson (3.0/1184)||51.56||Top U1200/1 – $51.56|
|John Andrew Kopay (1.0/426)||25.78||Top U1000/1 – $51.56|
|William Murtha (1.0/746)||25.78|
SwissSys Standings. 22nd William M Byland Memorial: Open (Standings (no tiebrk))
|#||Name||ID||Rating||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Total|
|12||James Roy Provins||10140501||1546||L9||W21||D10||D15||L13||W22||3.0|
|22||John Andrew Kopay||14708775||426||B—||L2||L5||L7||L20||L12||1.0|
SwissSys Wall Chart. 22nd William M Byland Memorial: Open
|#||Name/Rating/ID||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Total|
|1||Zachary Thompson||W 12||B 9||bye||W 8||B 5||W 4|
|2039 12687109 (1982)||1.0||2.0||2.5||2.5||3.5||4.5||4.5|
|2||Kian Patel||B 13||W 10||B 8||W 4||B 19||W 14|
|2035 14871315 (1709)||1.0||2.0||2.5||2.5||3.0||4.0||4.0|
|3||Sam Timmons||bye||B 11||W 7||W 19||B 6||B 18|
|1827 12915604 (1761)||0.5||1.5||2.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||3.0|
|4||John Vuillemot||W 14||B 17||W 5||B 2||W 8||B 1|
|1721 17095890 (1349)||1.0||2.0||3.0||4.0||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|5||Ken Harper||B 16||W 19||B 4||W 10||W 1||B 12|
|1612 12453505 (1516)||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||3.0||3.0||3.0|
|6||Glenn Brown||W 18||B 15||W 17||B 14||W 3||B 8|
|1601 12292250 (1473)||0.0||0.5||1.5||2.5||3.5||4.0||4.0|
|7||James Roy Provins||B 19||W 16||B 3||W 9||B 14||W 17|
|1546 10140501 (1561)||0.0||1.0||1.5||2.0||2.0||3.0||3.0|
|8||Douglas Deptola||W 20||B 18||W 2||B 1||B 4||W 6|
|1534 12724835 ( 992)||1.0||2.0||2.5||3.5||4.0||4.5||4.5|
|9||Yisrael Isaacson||B 21||W 1||B 19||B 7||W 13||W 11|
|1500 10105404 (1580)||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.5||2.5||2.5||2.5|
|10||Nicho Athanassiou||W 22||B 2||W 18||B 5||W 20||W 19|
|1498p 30188114 (1640)||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||4.0||4.0|
|11||Avi Teitelbaum||bye||W 3||B 13||bye||W 18||B 9|
|1340 30235842 ( 963)||0.5||0.5||1.5||2.0||2.5||3.5||3.5|
|12||Daniel Kolich||B 1||W 20||B 21||W 17||– 15||W 5|
|1240 12244160 (1257)||0.0||0.0||1.0||2.0||X3.0||4.0||4.0|
|13||Bryant Sims||W 2||B 22||W 11||B 21||B 9||bye|
|1200 12606500 (1109)||0.0||0.0||0.0||1.0||1.0||2.0||2.0|
|14||Daniel Hodgson||B 4||W 21||B 20||W 6||W 7||B 2|
|1184p 30308543 (1100)||0.0||1.0||2.0||2.0||3.0||3.0||3.0|
|15||Matt Mahan||bye||W 6||B 22||—-||– 12||—-|
|1115 12744033 (1054)||0.5||1.0||2.0||U2.0||F2.0||U2.0||2.0|
|16||William Murtha||W 5||B 7||bye||B 20||W 22||W 21|
|746p 30318852 ( 725)||0.0||0.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0|
|17||John Andrew Kopay||bye||W 4||B 6||B 12||W 21||B 7|
|426 14708775 ( 296)||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0|
|18||Shawn Henry||B 6||W 8||B 10||W 22||B 11||W 3|
|19||Walter Angell||W 7||B 5||W 9||B 3||W 2||B 10|
|20||Witold Lipski||B 8||B 12||W 14||W 16||B 10||B 22|
|21||James Shirley||W 9||B 14||W 12||W 13||B 17||B 16|
|22||Siddarth Yerram||B 10||W 13||W 15||B 18||B 16||W 20|