61st Golden Triangle Open
April 23 @ 9:00 am – 5:30 pm Detroit
April 23 @ 9:00 am – 5:30 pm EDT
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 61st Golden Triangle Open tournament. This tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule | Format | Prizes | Eligibility | Byes | Rules | Fair Play | Contact | Registration | COVID Registered Players | Prize Winners | Standings
Schedule and Location
Tournament Schedule: Round times are in Eastern Standard Time.
- Saturday, April 23, 2022
- Championship Section, G/45 d5, 9am | 10:45am | 2pm | 3:30pm
- Reserve Section, G/45 d5, 9am | 10:45am | 2pm | 3:30pm
- Novice Section, G/45 d5, 9am | 10:45am | 2pm | 3:30pm
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club, 5869 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Capacity: There is a maximum capacity of 32 players. It is recommended to register early.
Parking: There is street parking, parking lots, and a parking garage available.
Format: 4-round Swiss System, in three sections
Time Control: Game/45 delay 5 (Each player starts with 45 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There will be three sections
- Championship: Open
- Reserve: open to rated players under 1800
- Novice: open to players rated under 1000 or unrated
- Pairings will be based on the April 2022 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
- $800 prize fund based on 32 players
- Championship: 1st place – $200, Top Under 2000 – $100
- Reserve: 1st place – $150, 2nd place – $100, Top Under 1500 – $50, Top Under 1300 – $50, Top Under 1100 – $50
- Novice: 1st place – $50, Top Unrated: $50
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) in all sections gets free entry to any future 2022 PCC tournament! (up to $50). If player claims a cash prize, then the upset prize will be awarded to the next largest upset win, in order of rating points difference.
- No winner shall receive more than one cash award (Rule 32B1).
- Unrated Players are ineligible to receive Under-rated prizes.
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099-MISC form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A maximum of one ½-point bye will be accepted under the following conditions:
- Round 1 BYE must be requested 15 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Rounds 2-4 BYEs must be requested before the start of Round 2.
- Rounds 3-4 BYEs are irrevocable to prevent prize fund manipulations.
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is encouraged to be assured of a place in any section
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 Advance, $55 On-Site
- Online advance registration closes at 8AM, Saturday, April 23rd
- On-site registration will be available starting at 8am, Saturday, April 23rd
- Late Entry: Late registrants arriving after 8:45am may have to take a Round 1 BYE
- Commitment to play paired rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round pairing will be paired and expected to play in that round -regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through mail.
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 61st Golden Triangle Open to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from the PA Department of Health and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and and latex gloves to any player who wants them
powered by Advanced iFrame free. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.