- This event has passed.
May Action Quads
May 10, 2022 @ 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Join us for our May Action Quads.
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Schedule” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Schedule and Location
Tournament Rounds: Starting Tuesday, 6:30PM EST, May 10, 2022
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club, 5869 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Capacity: There is a maximum capacity of 32 players. It is recommended to register early.
Parking: There is street parking, parking lots, and a parking garage available.
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Format” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Tournament Format
Format: Quadrangular (aka. Quads), a 4-player single Round Robin chess tournament. Each player plays one or more games against the other three players.
Time Control: Game/30 delay 5 (Each player starts with 30 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There will be one Open section. Within the Open section there will be as many quads as possible, formed from players entered. Quads will be defined and paired in accordance with USCF Rule 30G. All entered players in the Open section will be listed in order by rating, highest to lowest. Working from the top of the list down, each group of four players will be designated as a quad. Within each quad, the four players will be assigned pairing numbers 1 through 4 in order by rating from highest to lowest. If a group of 5, 6 or 7 players is left over after defining all other quads for a section, that group will be paired as a three-round Swiss. If fewer than 4 players enter any section, that section will be eliminated, and affected players will have a choice of playing in a different section or having their entry fee refunded. Pairings: Pairings for each quad will be as follows: round 1: 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3; round 2: 3 vs 1, 4 vs 2; round 3: 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4. For round 3 only, colors will be assigned randomly in each pairing (by a coin toss or hidden pawn choice), except that in the event of a forfeit or withdrawal, colors should be assigned so as to maximize color equalization.
Pairings: Pairings will be based on the May US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament series. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings from the latest supplement will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Quick
- USCF Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
The Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Prizes” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Prizes
- 1st Place – $40 per quad. There is an additional +$10 Bonus for 3-0 perfect scores.
- In case of a tie, cash prizes will be divided equally among the tied players.
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Eligibility” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Eligibility
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Expiration date of membership must be later than the day of the tournament.
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players must be Pittsburgh Chess Club members
- Not sure of the status of your PCC membership? Visit: pittsburghchess.club/memberships
- You can become a Pittsburgh Chess Club member here: pittsburghchess.club/memberships
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Byes” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Byes
- No half-point byes allowed –please plan to play all three rounds.
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Rules” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Tournament rules
- Standard US Chess rules apply
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Fair” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Fair Play
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Contact” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Contact
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”Registration” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]Registration
[fusion_button link=”https://members.pittsburghchessclub.org/portal/signup/XSvNa1GKE” text_transform=”” title=”” target=”_self” link_attributes=”” alignment_medium=”” alignment_small=”” alignment=”” modal=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” sticky_display=”normal,sticky” class=”” id=”” color=”blue” button_gradient_top_color=”” button_gradient_bottom_color=”” button_gradient_top_color_hover=”” button_gradient_bottom_color_hover=”” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” type=”3d” bevel_color=”” border_width=”” border_radius=”1″ border_color=”” border_hover_color=”” size=”small” stretch=”no” margin_top=”10″ margin_right=”10″ margin_bottom=”10″ margin_left=”10″ icon=”fa-user-check fas” icon_position=”left” icon_divider=”no” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]PCC Member Registration – $24[/fusion_button] [fusion_button link=”https://members.pittsburghchessclub.org/portal/signup/rTBC1qPnl” text_transform=”” title=”” target=”_self” link_attributes=”” alignment_medium=”” alignment_small=”” alignment=”” modal=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” sticky_display=”normal,sticky” class=”” id=”” color=”orange” button_gradient_top_color=”” button_gradient_bottom_color=”” button_gradient_top_color_hover=”” button_gradient_bottom_color_hover=”” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” type=”3d” bevel_color=”” border_width=”” border_radius=”1″ border_color=”” border_hover_color=”” size=”small” stretch=”no” margin_top=”10″ margin_right=”10″ margin_bottom=”10″ margin_left=”10″ icon=”” icon_position=”left” icon_divider=”no” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]non-PCC Member Registration – $30[/fusion_button]
- Advance entry is encouraged to be assured of a place in the tournament.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $24
- Non-Member Entry Fee: $30 advance entries, $35 on-site entries
- Online registration: closes at 4:30 PM, Tuesday, May 10th, 2022.
- On-site registration will be available 5:45PM-6:15PM, May 10, 2022.
- All players (including advance entries) must check-in with the Tournament Director during on-site registration. Failure to check-in could risk automatic withdraw from the tournament.
- Commitment to play paired rounds: All players who have not withdrawn prior to the start of each round pairing will be paired and expected to play in that round -regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event and they will be charged a forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
[fusion_menu_anchor name=”COVID” class=””][/fusion_menu_anchor]COVID
Pittsburgh Chess Club Quads are designed to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from the PA Department of Health and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them