44th Pittsburgh Summer Open
August 13 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm EDT
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 44th Pittsburgh Summer Open.
- Saturday, August 13, 2022
- Championship Section (G/65 d5): 9am | 1pm | 3:30pm
- Reserve Section (G/65 d5): 9am | 1pm | 3:30pm
- Novice Section (G/65 d5): 9am | 1pm | 3:30pm
- Sunday, August 14, 2022
- Championship Section (G/90 d5): 10am | 2pm
- Reserve Section (G/90 d5): 10am | 2pm
- Novice Section (G/90 d5): 10am | 2pm
*Please note, there is a different time control schedule each day – the last two rounds are slower than the first three.
Format: 5-round Swiss System, in three sections
- Rounds 1-3: Game/65 delay 5 (Each player starts with 65 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
- Rounds 4-5: Game/90 delay 5 (Each player starts with 90 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There are three sections
- Championship: open to all players
- Reserve: open to rated players under 1800 or unrated
- Novice: open to players rated under 1000
Pairings: Pairings will be generated using the Swiss System using ratings issued by US Chess (see Ratings below).
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament series. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings from the latest supplement will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
The Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$1000 prize fund based on 32 players:
- Championship: 1st place – $250, 2nd place – $200
- Reserve: 1st place – $150, 2nd place – $100, Top Under 1600 – $50, Top Under 1400 – $50, Top U1200 – $50
- Novice: 1st place – $100, 2nd place – $50.
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) gets free entry to any future 2022-2023 PCC tournament! (up to $50)
- No winner shall receive more than one cash award (Rule 32B1).
- Unrated Players are ineligible to receive Under-rated prizes.
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to two half-point byes will be accepted under the following conditions:
- All byes are irrevocable
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Byes for rounds 4 and 5 must be requested before 5:30PM Saturday. Bye requests after this deadline will be considered 0 point byes.
- Please see Commitment to play all rounds, below.
- Standard US Chess rules apply
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is encouraged to be assured of a place in the tournament.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40
- Non-Member Entry Fee: $50 advance entries, $55 on-site entries
- FIDE titled players get in free.
- On-site registration will be available before rounds 1, 8AM – 8:45AM Saturday.
- Late registrants who register after 8:45 AM Saturday may have to take a half point bye in round 1.
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through the mail and must be requested before the start of Round 1.
- Commitment to play paired rounds: All players who have not withdrawn prior to the start of each round pairing will be paired and expected to play in that round -regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event and they will be charged a forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
This tournament is designed to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from the PA Department of Health and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them
powered by Advanced iFrame free. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.
|#||Name||USCF ID||Rating||Section||Rnd 1||Rnd 2||Rnd 3||Rnd …|