- This event has passed.
Quads in the Park VIII
June 18 @ 10:30 am - 5:30 pm$40 – $50
This is our 8th Quads in the Park tournament. This event will be USCF rated at an outdoor venue. Please note there is limited space — enter early!
Tournament Registration Links
Schedule and Location
Check-in: 10:30AM – 11AM
Time Control: G/45 d5
Tournament Schedule: 11AM | 2PM | 3:45PM
Location: Schenley Park, at the Westinghouse grounds (W Circuit Rd Pittsburgh, PA 15217) . One quad for each 8-foot picnic table. Tables are roofed but not enclosed. Players should be aware that this is a public venue and people not associated with the chess tournament will be using park facilities adjacent to and near the playing area. PCC has no control over or responsibility for the activities of these people or any attendant noise or distraction.
NO on-site registration: All players must pre-register online as the TD will have limited resources available to register on-site. Online registration closes at 11PM Saturday the night before. Shortly after registration closes, quad assignments will be posted online, as well as emailed to all players who have entered. The quad assignments will also be posted at the Westinghouse grounds starting at 10:30am.
Capacity: There is a maximum capacity of 16 players. It is recommended to register early.
Parking: There is paid parking on the street. There is also limited free parking in the middle of the road directly in front of the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.
Restrooms: There will be a portable toilet on-site. In addition, there are also restrooms available at the soccer field.
Park Map: Schenley Park Map
Food: It looks like a 20-minute walk downtown (40-minute roundtrip). Please plan accordingly. Vehicle transportation, Uber Eats, DoorDash, or GrubHub are suggested means to getting food efficiently and observing round times. There is also a Café Phipps next to the park.
Rain or Shine: The tournament will proceed regardless of rain or clear skies. Players should dress for the weather, noting average summer temperatures in Pittsburgh (ie. range between 60-84).
Emergency Weather Adjournment: In case of an impending weather emergency while games are in progress (ie. flash flood, tornado, lightning, high heat, high wind, etc.), it is the Tournament Director's discretion to announce a 5-minute Emergency Weather Adjournment Warning. If games are not completed within 5-minutes after the announcement, the player on move will be asked to seal their next move and stop the clock (in accordance with USCF Rule 18). Players on move after the announcement may ask the director for permission to seal early. The sealed envelope shall follow the protocol and specifications of USCF Rules 18D & 18E. After games have been completed and/or sealed, the tournament will be postponed for a period of time at the discretion of the tournament director depending on what the situation demands. It is preferable to resume the tournament on the same day, at the same venue, as soon as weather has become fair. If it is not possible to resume at the same venue on the same day based on weather forecasts, it is the Director's discretion to may move the tournament indoors to the Pittsburgh Chess Club clubhouse (about 1-mile away from Westinghouse grounds).
Format: Quadrangular (aka. Quads), a 4-player Round Robin chess tournament. There are three (3) rounds: each player plays one game against each of the other three players.
Time Control: Game/45 delay 5 (Each player starts with 45 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There will be one Open section. Within the Open section there will be as many quads as possible, formed from players entered. Quads will be defined and paired in accordance with USCF Rule 30G. All entered players in the Open section will be listed in order by rating, highest to lowest. Working from the top of the list down, each group of four players will be designated as a quad. Within each quad, the four players will be assigned pairing numbers 1 through 4 in order by rating from highest to lowest. If a group of 5, 6 or 7 players is left over after defining all other quads for a section, that group will be paired as a three-round Swiss. If fewer than 4 players enter any section, that section will be eliminated, and affected players will have a choice of playing in a different section or having their entry fee refunded. Pairings: Pairings for each quad will be as follows: round 1: 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3; round 2: 3 vs 1, 4 vs 2; round 3: 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4. For round 3 only, colors will be assigned randomly in each pairing (by a coin toss or hidden pawn choice), except that in the event of a forfeit or withdrawal, colors should be assigned so as to maximize color equalization.
Pairings: Pairings will be based on the US Chess rating supplement published during the month of the tournament (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament series. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings from the latest supplement will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Quick
- USCF Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
The Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
- There will be one prize in each quad, for the highest score, equal to $80
- If the highest score is 3-0, then there is a bonus +$20.
- If the lowest quad has at least 6 players, a 2nd place $50 prize will be added.
- If the lowest quad has 7 players, then a 3rd place $50 will be added.
- In case of a tie, cash prizes will be divided equally among the tied players.
- Prizes will be distributed to winner either:
- On site
- Transferred to winner's designated PayPal account.
- Please allow 3-4 business days for transferring prize funds via PayPal.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- No half-point byes allowed –please plan to play all rounds.
- Standard US Chess rules apply
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50
- Administrative Fee: $15 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through mail.
- Online registration closes at 11PM, Saturday, the night before the tournament.
- On-site registration: NO on-site registration available — Online registration only.
- Commitment to play all rounds: All players who have not withdrawn prior to the entry deadline (11:00 PM Saturday) will be assigned to a quad and will be expected to play all three rounds regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $15
- Bring set, board, and clock if possible – none supplied.