Your Next Steps
After learning the rules of chess, you can continue improving your skills by studying tactics, checkmates, openings, and endgames.
Choose from the links below for recommended resources for skills between Beginner to Intermediate. Of course, this is only a small portion of the vast amount of resources available, but hopefully this will provide enough direction to get you started.
If you have a suggested resource that worked for you, let us know so we can add it.
- Tactical Lessons, ChessKid.com
- Tactical Lessons, Chess.com
- Puzzles, Chess.com
- Puzzles, ChessKid.com
Recommended Books for Tactics
- Back to Basics: Tactics by Dan Heisman
- Chess Tactics for Students by John Bain
- The Woodpecker Method by Axel Smith via Chessable
Recommended Books for Checkmates
- Checkmate! Ideas for Students by John Bain
Recommended Books for Openings
- Chess Fundamentals by José Capablanca
- Chess Openings: An Overview of Standard Variations by Todd Bardwick
- Study Plan For Beginners: The Endgame!
- 10 Endgame Principles for Beginners
- Chess Endgames on Chessable
Recommended Books for Endgame