We are a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit organization with roots going back to the mid-1800s. The Club is dedicated to promoting and developing the game of chess, conducting instructional classes, lectures, and exhibitions for the general public, sponsoring chess tournaments, and raising awareness of chess in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. The Club holds some of the nation’s longest-running tournaments in the United States. We have even helped to organize national championship tournaments going back as far as the 1946 U.S. Open, but also as recently as the 2004 National Elementary and the 2010 U.S. Blind. Our newsletter, En Passant, regularly wins awards from Chess Journalists of America.