18th William J. Browne Memorial
May 28 @ 9:00 am – 5:30 pm EDT
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 18th William J. Browne Memorial tournament. This tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board.
Schedule and Location
Tournament Schedule: Round times are in Eastern Daylight Time.
- Saturday, May 28, 2021
- Open Section, G/60 d5, 10am | 1pm | 3:30pm
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club
Format: Quadrangular (aka. Quads), a 4-player single Round Robin chess tournament. Each player plays one or more games against the other three players.
Time Control: Game/60 delay 5 (Each player starts with 60 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There will be one Open section. Within the Open section there will be as many quads as possible, formed from players entered. Quads will be defined and paired in accordance with USCF Rule 30G. All entered players in the Open section will be listed in order by rating, highest to lowest. Working from the top of the list down, each group of four players will be designated as a quad. Within each quad, the four players will be assigned pairing numbers 1 through 4 in order by rating from highest to lowest. If a group of 5, 6 or 7 players is left over after defining all other quads for a section, that group will be paired as a three-round Swiss. If fewer than 4 players enter any section, that section will be eliminated, and affected players will have a choice of playing in a different section or having their entry fee refunded. Pairings: Pairings for each quad will be as follows: round 1: 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3; round 2: 3 vs 1, 4 vs 2; round 3: 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4. For round 3 only, colors will be assigned randomly in each pairing (by a coin toss or hidden pawn choice), except that in the event of a forfeit or withdrawal, colors should be assigned so as to maximize color equalization.
- Pairings will be based on the May 2022 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
- There will be one prize in each quad, for the highest score, equal to $80; if the highest score is 3-0, then the prize will be $100. In any group of 5, 6 or 7 players, a 2nd place $40 prize will be added. Prizes will be split between tied players.
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) in all sections gets free entry to any future 2022-2023 PCC tournament! (up to $50)
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided in registration) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address, as indicated in their registration.
- Please allow 3-4 business days for transferring prize funds via PayPal.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing mailed prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- No half-point byes allowed –please plan to play all three rounds.
- Standard US Chess rules apply
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Advance entry is encouraged to be assured of a place in any section
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 Advance, $55 On-Site
- Online advance registration closes at 8AM, Saturday, May 28th
- On-site registration will be available 9am-9:45AM
- Commitment to play paired rounds: All players who have not withdrawn prior to the start of each round pairing will be paired and expected to play in that round -regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event and they will be charged a forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through mail.
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 18th William J. Browne Memorial to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance from the PA Department of Health and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and latex gloves to anyone who wants them
powered by Advanced iFrame free. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.
SwissSys Standings. 18th William J Browne Memorial
|#||Place||Name||ID||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Tot||Prize|