60th Golden Triangle Open
June 19, 2021 @ 9:00 am – 5:30 pm EDT
The Pittsburgh Chess Club is proud to host our 60th Golden Triangle Open tournament. This tournament will be USCF rated and in person / over the board. We will also be enforcing additional rules in the registration section below to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Please note there is limited space — enter early!
Schedule and Location
Tournament Schedule: Round times are in Eastern Daylight Time.
- Saturday, June 19, 2021
- Championship Section, G/45 d5, 9am | 10:45am | 2pm | 3:30pm
- Reserve Section, G/45 d5, 9am | 10:45am | 2pm | 3:30pm
- Novice Section, G/45 d5, 9am | 10:45am | 2pm | 3:30pm
Location: The Pittsburgh Chess Club (new space announced soon).
Format: 4-round Swiss System, in three sections
Time Control: Game/45 delay 5 (Each player starts with 45 minutes on their clock with 5 second delay before subtracting time)
Sections: There will be three sections
- Championship: open to rated players 1800+ or unrated
- Reserve: open to rated players under 1800
- Novice: open to players rated under 1000
- Pairings will be based on the June 2021 US Chess rating supplement (see Ratings below). The highest rating will be used for pairing purposes.
Ratings: All players must be current USCF members to play in this tournament. Players can purchase or renew USCF memberships in conjunction with entering the tournament. To see membership options, details and dues or to purchase or renew memberships directly online, click here: https://new.uschess.org/become-member. Membership dues are non-refundable even if the tournament is cancelled or the player withdraws. All games will be USCF-rated. Official USCF ratings as of June 1, 2021 will apply as listed below in order of priority:
- USCF Regular
- USCF Quick
- USCF Online-Regular
- USCF Online-Quick
Pittsburgh Chess Club reserves the right to assign any player to a higher-rated section based on the player’s rating history. Any player who does not have any of the USCF ratings listed above will be entered as an unrated player.
$800 prize fund based on 24 paid entries:
- Championship: 1st place – $200, 2nd place – $150, Top Under 2000 – $100
- Reserve: 1st place – $100, 2nd place – $85, Top Under 1600 – $50, Top Under 1400 – $40.
- Novice: 1st place – $50, 2nd place – $25
- Largest upset win (if at least 200 points) in all sections gets free entry to any future 2021 PCC tournament! (up to $50)
- Prizes will paid on-site by check. If a prize is not collected, it will be transferred to winner’s designated PayPal account (if provided in registration) or the check will be sent to their physical mailing address, as indicated in their registration.
- Please allow 3-4 business days for transferring prize funds via PayPal.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing mailed prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and The Pittsburgh Chess Club will be providing a 1099 form.
- Players must be current US Chess Federation members.
- Expiration date of membership must be later than the last day of the tournament (ie. through the end of July 2021).
- Not sure of the status of your US Chess membership? Visit: new.uschess.org/player-search
- You can become a US Chess member (or renew your membership) here: new.uschess.org/join-us-chess
- Players do not need to be Pittsburgh Chess Club members, but there is a discount on entry fees
- Byes are available for players in any round in case they can’t participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A request for up to one half-point BYE will be accepted under the following conditions:
- Round 1 BYE must be requested 15 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Rounds 2-4 BYEs must be requested before the start of Round 2.
- Rounds 3-4 BYEs are irrevocable to prevent prize fund manipulations.
- A player may cancel an irrevocable half-point bye under the condition that if the player wins, the result will be treated as a draw for prize purposes.
- Standard US Chess rules apply
- Use of computer chess engines, databases, chess books, magazines, written notes and any other form of external assistance while playing is strictly prohibited. Assistance from other players is also prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions. Or call (412) 421-1881.
- Registration starts June 2nd (EDT).
- Advance entry is encouraged to be assured of a place in any section
- PCC Member Entry Fee: $40. Discounts for members who are Passed Pawn and Bishop Pair rewards status will be honored.
- Non-PCC Member Entry Fee: $50 until June 17th, $55 after June 17th
- Online advance registration closes at 8AM, Saturday, June 19th
- On-site registration will be available starting at 8am
- Late Entry: Late registrants arriving after 8:45am may have to take a Round 1 BYE
- Commitment to play paired rounds: All players who have not withdrawn or requested a BYE prior to the start of each round pairing will be paired and expected to play in that round -regardless of their results. A player will be forfeited if he or she does not arrive at his or her assigned board to play a scheduled game before the expiration of the default time, which is the lesser of the time control or 60 minutes. Once a forfeit occurs, the player is automatically withdrawn from the event, unless they pay the appropriate forfeit penalty fee.
- Forfeit penalty fee: $10
- Administrative Fee: $10 for all cancellations & refunds. Refund checks will be sent through mail.
- Players must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgement and Release
Pittsburgh Chess Club has designed the 60th Golden Triangle Open to be compliant with current covid-related requirements. Based on guidance fromResponding to COVID-19: COVID Mitigation in Pennsylvania, PA Department of Health FAQ, and the CDC, we have listed the requirements most pertinent to this tournament:
- Masks will be worn at all times within the tournament hall
- Food will not be consumed within the tournament hall
- If any player shows symptoms of sickness or fever, their tournament entry will cancelled and fully refunded
- Players must allow for the Tournament Director to read their temperature using an infrared thermometer
- We will be providing hand sanitizer and asking players to use this before starting each round.
- We will also be providing latex gloves to anyone who wants them
Tournament paid 62.5% of advertised prizes (based on 24; 15 paid entries)
|GM Bryan Smith||1st Place (TIE), Championship||$109.37|
|Zachary Thompson||1st Place (TIE), Championship||$109.37|
|Kurt Wallnau||Top U2000 (TIE)||$31.25|
|Jason Liu||Top U2000 (TIE)||$31.25|
|Matt Bradley||1st Place, Reserve||$62.50|
|James Carr||2nd Place(TIE), Reserve||$27.63|
|James Peace||2nd Place(TIE), Reserve||$27.63|
|Benjamin Lin||Top U1600||$31.25|
|Andrew Fitzpatrick||Top U1400||$25.00|
|Vivian Zhang||1st Place (TIE), Novice||$23.43|
|Zhenming Yin||1st Place (TIE), Novice||$23.43|
Registered Entries (last update 6/19/2021 9AM):
|Championship||GM Bryan Smith||12602587||2519|
|Novice||E Tomlinson Fort||12524024||Unrated|